Founded in 1936. Stronger than ever today.
We're not your grandfather's credit union, even though he might know our name. With a long history of serving North Dakotans, we're adept at changing with the times to provide for the changing needs of our members.
Meet President & CEO Jon Griffin
Jon Griffin joined Capital Credit Union in 2011 as director of risk management and was promoted to vice president of risk management in 2014. In 2019, Jon was promoted to chief operations and risk officer and, in 2021, he was named the credit union’s chief lending officer. In 2023, he was named president and CEO.
Jon graduated from the University of North Dakota in 2005 with bachelor’s degrees in accounting and finance. He also earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Mary in 2015.
Capital Credit Union's History
- Capitol Employees Credit Union was organized on January 13, 1936, in Bismarck by about 20 federal and state employees. They met in the hearing room on the ground floor of the North Dakota Capitol building. The credit union was established as “a cooperative society with the two-fold purpose of promoting thrift among its members while also creating a source of credit for them at legitimate rates of interest for provident purposes.”
- The credit union received state charter number 11184 on March 5, 1936. It was chartered to serve federal and state employees working in and around the Capitol building, the Capitol memorial building, and other adjacent buildings on the Capitol grounds.
- The first office was in the State Treasurer’s Office and was run by volunteers.
- An initial membership fee of 25 cents was charged to each member.
- In November 1936, the credit union started the process of joining the Credit Union National Association (CUNA).
- The first loan was made in May 1936 for $25.
- On December 31, 1936, membership in the credit union totaled 33 and assets were $330.62.
- On September 23, 1937, the credit union started the process of joining the North Dakota Credit Union League.
- In May 1940, the credit union was designated to sell defense bonds.
- The credit union joined the Central Credit Union in July 1942 and purchased one share.
- In 1945, the bylaws were amended to open membership to the immediate families of existing members.
- The first major purchase of office equipment was authorized on February 25, 1955. The items purchased included a typewriter, adding machines and files.
- The credit union reached the $1 million asset mark in June 1964.
- On January 23, 1967, Capitol Employees Credit Union moved to the NDEA building at 410 E. Thayer. The move was made to increase and extend its services to the nearly 2,000 shareholders and other prospective members. The name was officially changed from Capitol Employees Credit Union to Capital Credit Union to represent the field of membership more accurately.
- The credit union moved into its new 6,834 square foot, one-story building on June 25, 1971. Membership had grown to 3,271 and assets to $2.5 million.
- The first drive-up window was installed in 1974.
- In 1976, CCU became an FHA Title 1 Lending Agency, reached $10 million is assets, had 6,400 members and 14 employees.
- Assets increased from $2,130,450.17 a decade prior to $19,483,16.92 at the end of 1979. During the same ten-year period, membership grew from 2,454 to 10,936 members. A 24,000 square foot, three-story addition was completed in July.
- By 1985, the credit union served more than 12,000 members and managed more than $26 million in assets.
- A merger with Community Credit Union in 1986 grew membership to 16,000 and assets to $33 million.
- The credit union finalized a merger with Midwest Motor Express Credit Union in 1993.
- By 2003, there were 65 employees, 18,200 members and $120 million in assets.
- The Knife River Credit Union merger was approved in 2008.
- A merger with Noridian Employees Credit Union in Fargo was approved in 2012.
- A merger with New Salem Credit Union was finalized in 2013.
Individual Branch History
Capitol Employees Credit Union was organized in 1936 and located in the State Treasurer’s Office. In January 1967, Capitol Employees Credit Union moved its offices to the NDEA building at 410 E. Thayer Ave. Capital Credit Union moved to its current location at 204 W. Thayer Ave. in 1971. In 1979, a three-story addition nearly tripled the credit union's space and serves as the Main Office you see today.
Opened in 1995 and remodeled in 2017, Capital Credit Union's South Branch in Bismarck is located at 835 S. Washington St. inside Dan's Supermarket.
Opened in 1997 and remodeled in 2021, Capital Credit Union's North Branch in Bismarck is located at 3101 N. 11th St. inside Dan's Supermarket.
In 2002, Capital Credit Union purchased property at 1550 Burnt Boat Drive in Bismarck and began construction on this branch, which opened in 2004.
Opened in 2015, Capital Credit Union's Sunrise Branch in Bismarck is located at 3103 Yorktown Dr. inside Dan's Supermarket.
Capital Credit Union's original Mandan Branch opened at 600 E. Main St. in 1998. In 2011, construction on a new branch began at the same location and, in 2012, the new Mandan Branch opened.
New Salem Branch
Blue Grass Credit Union was organized in 1939 and had seven members. In 1947, shareholders unanimously voted to change the name to New Salem Credit Union and, in 2013, to merge with Capital Credit Union. Capital Credit Union's New Salem Branch is located at 316 Main Ave.
Hazen & Beulah Branches
Knife River Credit Union in Hazen and Beulah opened in 1987 and, in 2008, merged with Capital Credit Union.
Fargo 13th Ave. Branch
In 2012, Capital Credit Union merged with Noridian Employees Credit Union in Fargo and, in October, opened this branch at 4900 13th Ave. S.
Fargo Veterans Boulevard Branch
This branch opened at 3216 Veterans Blvd. in Fargo in April 2020.
Capital Credit Union is a full-service financial institution with locations in Bismarck, Mandan, Fargo, Beulah, Hazen and New Salem, North Dakota.